Showing Attention

Some Expression to use:

• I see. - Tell me more about it.
• Oh, yes. - Really?
• Mmm... - Oh, my God! What happens next?
• A ha... - And then what?
• How interesting! - What’s next?
• I know what you mean. - Is that all?
• Oh, oh! - Indeed?
• Well, well, well… - Oh, no!

Contoh the dialog:
1.     Ana       : Hi guys. . .
Bella       : Hi!
Ana       : How are you?
Bella       : Excellent, and you?
Ana       : Fine, thanks.
Bella       : What are you doing here?
Ana       : Oh, I’m reading a book.
Bella       : What book is it?
Ana       : It’s Biology book…about plants and animals.
Bella       : Really?? Where did you buy it?
Ana       : I bought it in Gramedia book store.
Bella       : Mmm…Can you tell me, how much is it?
Ana       : It’s Rp. 60.000,00.
Bella       : When did you buy it?
Ana       : I bought it about a month ago. Do you have an interest in it?
Bella       : Oh, yes! I need that book for doing a task from my teacher.
Ana       : What task is it?
Bella       : Summery of the plant’s classification
Ana       : Oh, I see
Bella       : Yes, I’ll buy it. Ok, thanks for your information. I’ve got to go now. See you.
Ana      : Oke.

Exercises
I.Write a dialog about ‘Showing Attention’. Then perform it in front of the class
II. Complete the dialog below with Attention expressions
Ayu: “How are you, today?
Adi: “I am very well. Thanks, and you?
Ayu: “I am fine, too. ………………
Adi: “I don’t think so, I am just like usual. But, thank you.”
Ayu: You are wearing a good shirt. I like it. Where did you buy? …………..

Adi: I bought in Distro. Thanks for your attention to me.
Questions
1. Edo: “What are you doing here?”
Ali : “I am looking for English Dictionary.”
Edo : “…………………………. “
Ali : “Are you sure?. Thanks a lot.”
a. You look fantastic
b.You’ve found it
c.That’s correct
d. Don ‘t bother me
e.I don’t think so.

2. Justine: “You’re so different this morning”
Dadang: “May be, I had good sleep last night.
Justine: “I think so.”
The underlined words express ….
a.Sympathy
B.Unbelievable feeling
c.Pleasure
d.Surprise
e.Thank

3.Kyla: “You look pale today, what’s the matter?
Widi: “I’ve been recovered from ill.”
Kyla: “Sorry, I don’t know about it.”
The underlined words express …
a.sympathy
b.surprise
c.showing attention
d.advise
e.warning

4. Mrs. Rina: “Don’t use a knife my son! I am scare, you will be hurt.”
Son: “No, Mom. I’ll be careful.
The bold utterance expresses …
a.sympathy
b.surprise
c.showing attention
d.advise
e.warning

5. Rain: “……………………… in doing the duty.”
Rina: “Thank you for your attention.”
a.You look so sad
b.You look very incredible
c.Thanks a lot
d.Don’t mention it
e.It’s surprise
2.    School staff          : Good morning. What can I do for you?
Mr. Erwin                : Good morning. I’m Erwin from Malaysia, I have an appointment    with the head master. May I see him?
School staff           : Sure. Please come in and have seat. I’ll let him know
Mr. Erwin                : Thank you
(a few minutes later)
Scholl staff            : Sorry, sir. The headmaster is with guest right now. He will meet you is a few minutes. Is that ok?
Mr. Erwin                : you’re welcome

3.    Farah                     : Hi, Rina
Rina                       : Hi, Farah
Farah                     : Are you busy this afternoon?
Farah                     : well, would you like to accompany me to Lea’s house?
Rina                                   : I’m sorry………… Im not sure
Farah                     : Please?
Rina                                   : well, I’ll call you if I’m free this afternoon
Farah                     : Thanks, Rina
Rina                       : No, problem

4.    Icah                       : Hi Mom, Are you busy?
Mrs. Iwan              : No, clear. What’s up?
Icah                       : can I go out this evening, Mom?
Mrs. Iwan              : where will you go?
Icah                           : To Listy’s house to do our assignment, we have to submit it in two days.
Mrs. Iwan                : All right, then. You may go
Icah                        : Oh, thanks Mom. And………, can I use your motorcycle?
Mrs. Iwan                : Of course not. You don’t have driving license, do you?
Icah                        : Well then, I will take a taxi

Mrs. Iwan                : That’s a good idea.